Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My hypothetical 2012 Emmy ballot


The nominations for the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards will be announced in a little more than 32 hours, so before that, I reveal my hypothetical Emmy ballot for I guess record's sake, as well as which nominee I'd vote for to win. I stuck to acting and series categories because I feel like there's too much to sort through with writing and directing categories and the variety and reality categories bored me. Onward...

Supporting Actress in a Comedy
Alison Brie as "Annie Edison" on Community
Allie Grant as "Lisa Shay" on Suburgatory
Busy Phillips as "Laurie Keller" on Cougar Town
Aubrey Plaza as "April Ludgate" on Parks and Recreation
Eden Sher as "Sue Heck" on The Middle

My winner: As you might have suspected, I love all these performances, but Aubrey Plaza is in a class of her own.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy
Donald Glover as "Troy Barnes" on Community
Max Greenfield as "Schmidt" on New Girl
Nick Offerman as "Ron Swanson" on Parks and Recreation
Chris Pratt as "Andy Dwyer" on Parks and Recreation
Danny Pudi as "Abed Nadir" on Community

My winner: Nick Offerman for all the Emmys.

Supporting Actor in a Drama
Peter Dinklage as "Tyrion Lannister" on Game of Thrones
Giancarlo Esposito as "Gus Fring" on Breaking Bad
Mandy Patinkin as "Saul Berenson" on Homeland
Aaron Paul as "Jesse Pinkman" on Breaking Bad
John Slattery as "Roger Sterling" on Mad Men

My winner: Another tight race, but I have to go Aaron Paul. MAGNETS, BITCH!

Supporting Actress in a Drama
Emilia Clarke as "Danerys Targareyan" on Game of Thrones
Christina Hendricks as "Joan Holloway" on Mad Men
Kelly Macdonald as "Margaret Schroeder" on Boardwalk Empire
Archie Panjabi as "Kalinda Sharma" on The Good Wife
Kiernan Shipka as "Sally Draper" on Mad Men

My winner: After five extraordinary seasons, this could very well be the year for Christina Hendricks.

Lead Actor in a Comedy
Alec Baldwin as "Jack Donaghy" on 30 Rock
Louis C.K. as "Louie" on Louie
Larry David as "Larry David" on Curb Your Enthusiasm
Joel McHale as "Jeff Winger" on Community
Adam Scott as "Ben Wyatt" on Parks and Recreation

My winner: Two people stood out to me from these five. One was Adam Scott, but if I could I'd vote for the other: Louis C.K.

Lead Actress in a Comedy
Lena Dunham as "Hannah Horvath" on Girls
Tina Fey as "Liz Lemon" on 30 Rock
Jane Levy as "Tessa Altman" on Suburgatory
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as "Selina Meyer" on Veep
Amy Poehler as "Leslie Knope" on Parks and Recreation

My winner: Another field where I'd be happy to see anybody win. But come on: Amy Poehler.

Lead Actress in a Drama
Claire Danes as "Carrie Mathison" on Homeland
Anna Gunn as "Skyler White" on Breaking Bad
Julianna Margulies as "Alicia Florrick" on The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss as "Peggy Olson" on Mad Men
Katey Sagal as "Gemma Teller Morrow" on Sons of Anarchy

My winner: The four women who are actually nominated in this category alongside Claire Danes can probably just stay home.

Comedy Series
Community, NBC
Cougar Town, ABC
Girls, HBO
Louie, FX
Parks and Recreation, NBC
30 Rock, NBC

My winner: All great shows that all deserve this award. But the best comedy on television is still Parks and Recreation.

Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire, HBO
Breaking Bad, AMC
Game of Thrones, HBO
The Good Wife, CBS
Homeland, Showtime
Mad Men, AMC

My winner: All great shows and I'd be happy if pretty much any of them won. That being said, I don't suspect Mad Men will have much trouble going five for five.